Here are 10 questions that should be used to assess the quality of the leaders in the place and to help in the selection of those to come.
By James Kerr Inc. Magazine, 8/8/16.
1. The leader works to understand their industry and contribute to its evolution through their company’s work? You want leaders that are sincerely interested at the work at hand and those can become movers and shakers within their industries.
2. The leader communicates the firm’s vision and strategies and helps their team to better understand how they contribute to the achievement of Company goals? You want leaders that understand, buy-into and can communicate the firm’s strategies to their people.
3. The leader demonstrates executive presence and is comfortable working at all levels of an organization? You want leaders that have the poise and confidence to be effective in all circumstances.
4. The leader is an exceptional trust-builder? You want leaders of high integrity that you can be counted on.
5. The leader inspires followership and can build a strong team around them? You want leaders that people want to work for and with.
6. The leader is a thought leader that can introduce new ways of “thinking” and “doing”? You want leaders that are always pushing to be better.
7. The leader is an outstanding communicator, skilled at both listening and messaging? You want leaders that can communicate effectively, so that there is no doubt about what is important.
8. The leader routinely provides feedback and coaching to their team? You want leaders that are always working to make their team better.
9. The leader rewards outstanding performance and knows how to reward the “right” people? You want leaders that recognizes talent and rewards people based on results, and, not on effort or out of favoritism.
10. The leader can demystify complex concepts and teach them to their teams? You want leaders that can teach people how to be the best that they can be.