Commentary by Dr. Whitesel: This spring the Wesleyan Church will discuss changes in membership requirements. Regardless of the outcome, I have found in my own life that it is prudent to not drink alcohol. This recent article by Jamie Morgan sums up well my thinking.
50 Reasons Not to Drink
by Jamie Morgan, Charisma Magazine, 12/29/15.
1. I can’t be sober-minded if I’m not sober.
2. Alcohol has an assignment: destruction.
3. Alcohol is a depressant. Anything that depresses should be avoided at all costs.
4. I don’t want to make my brother or sister stumble in the name of exercising my “Christian liberties.” My choice to drink could lead to someone’s demise.
5. Alcohol skews my judgment.
6. Alcohol leaves me worse, not better.
7. What I do in moderation, my children will do in excess.
8. Even the unsaved know I shouldn’t drink. Bible in one hand, beer in the other—any lost person could point this out as a confusing contradiction.
9. Alcohol doesn’t bring others closer to the Lord when they see me drinking, but further away.
10. Alcohol doesn’t bring me closer to the Lord when I drink, but further away.
11. I want to be fully awake and ready for the return of Christ, not drowsy, sluggish and fuzzy.
12. Show me a family for whom alcohol has made a positive difference in their lives. You won’t be able to.
13. I have never heard anyone say, “Wow, that gin and tonic made me feel so Christlike!”
14. I want to avoid all appearances of evil.
15. Alcohol makes it much harder for me to practice the fruit of self-control.
16. Alcohol causes me to lose my filter.
17. Alcohol is a legal mind-altering drug.
18. Alcohol is addictive.
19. Alcohol is a numbing agent for pain and sorrow only Jesus can heal.
20. Many regrets are associated with alcohol. (I can give you a whole bunch!)
21. No one has ever said, “If only I had taken a drink, things wouldn’t have gotten out of control.”
22. Alcohol causes me to act in ways I normally wouldn’t.
23. Alcohol kills brain cells.
Read 27 more at … http://www.charismanews.com/us/54097-50-reasons-why-i-don-t-drink