by Bob Whitesel, Professor of Missional Leadership.
The following are “helpful hints” I have compiled for students starting my courses. They are based on some of the most common questions I receive. And, they are designed to help you have a smooth(er) start of your academic journey:
1) Courses officially begin at 12:01 AM ET on Fridays, and the weekly workshops run through the following Thursday night, at midnight.
2) Under the “Getting Started” menu on the left of your Learning Studio screen, you will find information on how to post, use Dropbox, etc.
3) We have a Wesley Seminary Bookstore (via Amazon.com) that will allow you to find and order the books you need for each church. Here is the web address and steps to finding the books needed for this course:
- CLICK ON http://astore.amazon.com/wesleyseminaryiwu-20 Under the “Browse by Category” list on the right,
- CLICK on “MA Leadership Core” or “MDIV Leadership Core”
- Then CLICK on the title of your course.
- This should take you to a page that has a list of books needed for this course and guide you through the steps to purchase them 🙂
4) Whenever you access the Learning Studio page (for any of my courses) always check the “Professor’s Forum.” We will put helpful information there, including hints for doing well (like this one 🙂
5) And finally, here are some helpful links on writing formats, time management and library resources. Peruse these sometime before Week 2 begins.
- Tips for Writing in Seminary with Dr. Derr: http://www.screencast.com/t/5yiJBzkOymEc
- Seminary Writing Format (APA) with Dr. Derr: http://www.screencast.com/t/MYUeH6sx
- Self-Discipline in Seminary with Dr. Derr: http://www.screencast.com/t/E31CZMVIF
- Off-Campus Library Services with OCLS personnel: http://www.screencast.com/t/pE8SJyOQd